>> View Presentation Archive (video)
This event has concluded. Click on the link above to view the video presentation. Registration or log in required (free).
Important: Please be sure to complete the following survey at the conclusion of this event:
Cultural Competency Coordinator
Northeast Georgia Health Systems
Southeast Region Manager
Pacific Interpreters, Inc.
Sponsor: Foothills AHEC
Our cultures not only define who we are, but how we receive information and make decisions. Cultural competence is the ability of individuals and systems to interact respectfully and effectively with people of all cultures, classes, races, ethnic backgrounds, and religions. Achieving cultural competency is critical in the delivery of quality health care and the reduction of health disparities. This program is designed to give health care providers the tools, knowledge and understanding to work more effectively in cross-cultural situations.
Session participants will be able to:
- Identify cultural variations within the Hispanic/non-English speaking community that may directly affect clinical care.
- Identify and improve less than standard practices when providing language services to Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients.
- Provide Effective Communication to all Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients in the health care settings.
- Identify interpreters and provide necessary training for competency.
Foothills is requesting CE approval for GNA, EMS, AAMA, SW (MSW, LCSW, LPC, MFT).
Participants registering for programs should have access to the following technology for best viewing and participation:
- Personal computer with Macintosh or Windows with 512 MB of RAM
- Broadband internet connection such as an office LAN, DSL, or cable modem
- Phone next to personal computer (or speaker phone if multiple people are viewing)
- Computer speakers (built-in or attached)
- Latest version of Adobe Flash which can be downloaded for free at http://www.adobe.com/
This content may also be viewed using the following applications: