Donna Hodnicki, PhD, FNP-BC, FAAN, LNC
Professor and Interim Chair
School of Nursing at Georgia Southern University
Charlene Hanson, Ed.D., RN, CS, FNP, FAAN
National Council of State Boards of Nursing Advanced Practice Committee
Magnolia Coastlands AHEC
The role of the nurse practitioner is not new. However the recently issued Institute of Medicine Report, as well as the political environment of health reform, is changing the context of nurse practitioner practice. Our speakers will provide an overview of these changes and the potential impact on nurse practitioner roles for organizations that may recruit, retain, and otherwise utilize nurse practitioners on their staffs. Donna Hodnicki, Ph.D, FNP-BC, FAAN, LNC is Professor and interim chair of the School of Nursing at Georgia Southern University. Charlene Hanson, Ed.D, RN, CS, FNP, FAAN serves on the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Advanced Practice Committee, as well as the American Academy of Nursing Primary Care Taskforce.
After this session participants will be able to:
- Identify the Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommendations that encourage a change in the health care system directed toward improving health care outcomes.
- Understand the educational preparation and role components of the nurse practitioner as a health care provider.
- Identify the provisions in the national health care legislation that support the increased utilization of nurse practitioners in the delivery of care.
- Understand how the removal of barriers to nurse practitioner's full scope of practice will support a team effort to increase access to care and help to improve health care outcomes.
Original program date: Dec 7, 2010
Participants registering for programs should have access to the following technology for best viewing and participation:
- Personal computer with Macintosh or Windows with 512 MB of RAM
- Broadband internet connection such as an office LAN, DSL, or cable modem
- Phone next to personal computer (or speaker phone if multiple people are viewing)
- Computer speakers (built-in or attached)
- Latest version of Adobe Flash which can be downloaded for free at Adobe's web site
This content may also be viewed using the following applications:
Having trouble viewing the program? Visit our Technical Support page.